Bread & Pav
Bread is a type of baked food. It is mainly made from dough, which is made mainly from flour and water. Usually, salt and yeast are added. Bread is often baked in an oven. It can be bought all over the world. Bread is an important part of life in many countries because so many people eat it. In many cultures, bread is so important that it is part of religious rituals.
Bread can be toasted or used to make sandwiches. Pizza is a food-based on bread. There are many different kinds of bread.
The two main types of bread are:
- Leavened bread is made by adding yeast or other leavening agents to the dough. The yeast produces gas that makes the dough lighter. Leavened bread can be made into larger loaves baked in an oven. This is the main type of bread eaten in Europe, America, and many parts of Asia.
- Unleavened flatbread is baked from a dough of water and flour, with no yeast. It is baked in flat rounds like tortilla or chapati. This type of bread cannot be made thick as it would be too dense to eat. Unleavened bread is eaten throughout Greece, Africa, parts of Asia, and as the Central America such as Pitta bread or tortilla. Baking can be done on a metal plate or hot stone, or in an oven.
The color and taste of the bread depending on the kind of flour used and the style of baking. Flour made from the whole grain gives darker bread. Flour made just from the polished wheat grain gives a very white bread. Rye and barley flour give darker types of bread.
What are the health benefits of bread?
Here are some key nutritional facts about bread:
- White bread is fortified with calcium and four medium slices per day would provide over 30% of the recommended daily intake of calcium which we need every day to maintain healthy bones and teeth.
- Bread, especially wholemeal, is an important source of dietary fibre which helps to keep our digestive system healthy, helps control blood sugar and cholesterol levels and makes us feel fuller for longer.
- Bread is a low fat source of protein which is required by our bodies for growth, renewal and repair.
- White bread is fortified with iron. Iron is important for energy and concentration, a healthy immune system and healthy blood.
- Bread contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals including B group vitamins thiamine (B1), Niacin (B3) which are important for releasing energy from food and maintaining healthy skin, eyes and nails. It contains the B vitamin Folate (Folic Acid) which is important for pregnancy as it can help to prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida.
- Bread is relatively low in calories. An average medium slice of white bread contains 77 calories, brown contains 72 calories and wholemeal contains 79 calories.
- Bread is a low fat food. An average medium slice of white bread contains 0.6g of fat, brown bread contains 0.7g and wholemeal contains 0.9g. Just be careful with what you put on it and stick to healthy options for spreads and toppings.
- Most breads are low in sugar which is important for healthy teeth and maintaining a healthy weight.
What are some bread brand names?
List of the 11 Best Bread Companies in India
- Britannia Bread
- Harvest Gold
- English Oven
- The Health Factory
What's the best bread for sandwich?
Here is the list of the best bread for sandwich
- Ciabatta: These breads are great at soaking up flavours from ingredients like tomatoes, cheese, and cured meats which makes them a great option to make an array of sandwiches.
- Baguette: This bread is another versatile bread that can be used for a large variety of sandwiches. Some of these are BLTs, ham and cheese, and prosciutto sandwiches.
- Vienna roll: It’s a slightly sweet bread but partners savoury foods. Use Vienna bread to make sandwiches, and for breakfast too.
- White Pullman bread: A Pullman bread, if sliced properly, can be easily filled and sandwiches stacked on top of another. With its trademark fluffy interior and thin-crust it’s the perfect “everyday” sandwich bread.
- White baps: From a nice hog roast to a simple cheese and salad, white baps are the perfect sandwich bread.
- Cheese topped rolls: Cheese topped rolls are essentially white baps topped with cheese.
- Seeded bread: Seeded bread is made using seeds and grains. Popular seeds include linseeds, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy, and millet. Grains such as rye, malt, spelt, and soya can be included in seeded bread. It tends to have an earthy, rustic flavour with added crunch.
- Focaccia: Focaccia is a flat, oven-baked bread that’s similar to pizza. Its fluffy texture with a whack of olive oil makes eating a focaccia sandwich an unforgettable experience!
- Pain au levain: Because of its unique flavour, pain au levain works perfectly when paired with string foods like cheese and condiments. Making a grilled cheese sandwich out of this bread is a must-try!
- Spelt bread: Spelt bread is probably one of the most flavourful types of bread. It is a popular, healthy bread that’s rich in fibre and protein. Bread made with spelt is a great alternative to your usual white bread.
- Farmhouse loaf: The farmhouse loaf is an everyday bread that can be sliced for sandwiches or toast. Cutting thick slices for BLTs is the best way to eat this bread!
- Wholemeal bread: Wholemeal bread (or whole wheat bread) is made from the entire wheat grain. Making sandwiches with this type of bread is a great idea, as it has more nutrients compared to white bread.
What is the disadvantage of brown bread?
One major side effect of eating whole wheat bread is that it can possibly cause gastrointestinal issues for people with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), like bloating, stomach cramps, and constipation.
How many calories are in a piece of brown bread?
A slice of brown bread contains 75 calories.
Which is the good quality yeast?
Active dry yeast is the most commonly used type of yeast for making baked goods. It is yeast that has been dried out so that it has a longer shelf-life.